Skip to main content

Tasty Prata at Prata Wala - Is It Your Favorite?

http://the-dewi.blogspot.sg/2015/12/tasty-prata-at-prata-wala-is-it-your.html

The first time I tried Indian food was when I was in the US, weirdly enough. A fellow graduate assistant comes from India and she invited me for dinner at her place. My very first Indian dinner, I was so excited.

At first glance, Indian food looks kinda similar with Indonesian food, especially the cuisines from the Sumatra region. So, I thought the taste might be not too far off.
Well, I was wrong obviously, but it was my first experience and I was entranced by Indian food (thank goodness my friend is a good cook, otherwise I'd probably close the book on Indian cuisines). The spiciness level was through the roof in my opinion-I will never forget the taste of that sambar, it was like eating fire-but I love it. And ever since then, I have been a fan.

Since moving to Singapore, as it turns out, Indian food has become more or less a staple in our household, particularly the biryani and prata :). The first place here which I think serves decent prata was the Prata Wala.


I think the prata served here is pretty awesome! A perfect play of the sweet and savory crepes like pastry, flaky and slightly crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. When dipped in sauces like curry or butter masala, it sings. But we'll get to that in details later.



The outlet we always go to is the one in Jurong Point (Jurong townsfolk over here). This place is crowded at certain times of the day, shows you how popular this place is.
The line can get pretty long, but in my opinion, the food here is worth the wait.

Despite its popularity in Singapore, more than a few of my husband's friends who are from India (born and raised) claim that the dish served here is not authentic Indian dishes anymore, they have been Singaporeanized, so to speak. It has been made to be more accustomed to the Singaporean palate. Truth be told, I cannot tell the difference, even though I have had authentic Indian dishes in India before. But, I know good food when I eat one, and this place serves it.


My daughter loves coming here because she can see how the pratas, naan bread and the tandoori are being made, live. Dinner and a show, not too shabby. It's a soothing experience seeing all the process that goes into making our favorite prata :D.

So here are the food we ordered for the night.


For me, as usual I ordered the curry chicken prata set which costs S$7.50. This one is my all time favorite. Unless they run out, I would not order anything else. The butter chicken is also pretty good to eat the prata or naan with, but they have no set like the prata, too bad.

The reason why I love this set so much, other than it being economical, is because prata and curry go together in my book. I will not have prata any other way. Plus the chicken is always oh so tender, and moist, and literally falls apart in your mouth. I think it just disintegrates instantly just by looking at it. The sauce is rich, not too overpowering, spicy but not crazy hot, the combination is just right, it hits a spot. The spot that makes me smile and transports me into a world of happy gluttony, a world where you'd never gain weight no matter how much you eat. A happy place indeed.


Let's look at that chicken again shall we. Hmmm, I'm smiling all over again.
The curry chicken prata set comes with a good size cut of chicken and 2 pratas. A pretty filling meal, that warms you in more ways than one.

To cool down the heat, it's good idea to order the perfect drink to go with it.


Ice limau is my husband's favorite drink here. He's actually a big fan of soft drinks, but here he always orders the ice limau which costs S$2.80.

Personally for me, the drink is too sweet though, but I think that's just me. Coz this drink is one of the hits here.


My husband ordered his favorite for the night, chicken biryani. What is so good about the rice biryani is the fact that the spices used are not too strong and overwhelming, a bit different than biryani sold at other places. Maybe this is what they say about this place being Singaporeanized in terms of taste, but whatever, we love it!
The set comes with a piece of curry chicken, rice (big portion of it), pappadom and pickles. Pappadom is like a chip, a big chip cooked with dry heat. The flour is made from black lentil, it's very crispy and savory, and good :).

This set costs S$7.50, and for the portion it comes in, it's a pretty good value.


My daughter's favorite here is the fried chicken, unfortunately it was sold out for the night. So she ordered the paper prata, costs  only S$2.80.

This one is so addictive, and just like the name it's exactly prata but it's been fried thoroughly till crisp inside out. You can usually add some toppings on it like chocolate, honey, or condensed milk at S$1 each.
But if you eat it plain all by itself, it's still very good too.

This is the video I made for my experience at Prata Wala, I hope you like it:





More information for Prata Wala:

http://www.pratawala.com/index.html

Jurong Point
#01-71-74 JP2
1 Jurong West Central 2
Singapore 648886
Tel: 6795 2530

Operation hours: 5.00 AM - 3.00 AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell