Skip to main content

Bali Trip - BBQ Seafood Dinner by the Jimbaran Beach

The next day on our Bali trip, we decided to spend the day at Waterbom Bali, of course in the morning, I made time to just sit in the balcony, enjoying the awesome view that is Ubud. For more information on Waterbom Bali, feel free to click here. You can buy the tickets online through that link, plus if you're Indonesian or foreigner with a working permit/visa, they charge you with a cheaper rate, just be sure to have your KTP or residency permits with you when you claim the tickets on site.

For my family, a trip to Waterbom Bali is a must every time we visit. It is rated as the #3 water park in the world, and the #1 water park in Asia by tripadvisor ( I don't know whether this means much to you or not hehe).


I didn't take too many pictures of the water park, because I was busy having fun :P. Sorry. But, I did manage to take a picture of myself as I was about to have fun muaahhaha.


The water park was quite big, with many slides from the really mild ones like 'what was that? Is it over?' to the crazy ones that make you loose your lunch, 'I don't remember eating carrots for my lunch'.
And that is why I decided not to eat too much or too delicious of a food for lunch (what am I saying?). I'm not making sense, I was trying to say that the food we had for lunch happened to be below par taste wise.

We decided to grab a bite at Waterbom Bali itself, they have a small food court with lots of food options, from local food, western food to even middle eastern food! So when we purchased the tickets at the ticket booth, we were given a wrist band and was informed that to buy anything in the park from food, to massages, spas or to rent towels inside, we just need to show our wrist band, and the staff will scan it for us and take the money off our account. So, we need to fill up the account connected to the wrist band with money, any amount we feel necessary/enough. Don't worry, the unused balance will be refunded when we leave the park. This system is convenient that we don't have to carry our wallet around the park (we leave it in the lockers), it's troublesome because if we miscalculate and the balance ran out and I want to buy ice cream or have 15 minutes worth of fish spa or whatever, I have to go back to my locker, go to the  cashier booth and fill up the account, then come back to the place where I was trying to get ice cream from. That is enough walking, more than I cared for.

Anyways,  for lunch I wanted to get myself Indonesian food, so I ordered mie yamin which is sweet soy sauce chicken noodle.




Looks very appealing right, here's a closer shot of the noodles.


When I saw this, I was pretty happy with my choice. But looks can be deceiving, as I was disappointed to find out that the noodles weren't cooked through and they seem to have forgotten the soy sauce. Just my luck I guess. But, I was hungry so I managed to shove down half of the noodle. Of course the chili sauce helped a lot.

And with that sad lunch, we started our adventure at the water park. We had lots of fun, but I kept thinking longingly to the seafood dinner we were going to have that night :).

I almost forgot to add that they provide a small room to pray at the park, so we really appreciate that.

Now, on to dinner. It can be said that this dinner by the beach is supposedly the highlight of our trip to Bali. We already have a favorite restaurant to go to, but this time we decided to try a new place.


The place is called Nyoman Cafe, I apologize before hand for the low quality pictures :D.
So, along Jimbaran beach, there are many cafes that offer seafood dinner, feel free to choose whichever suits your fancy. This time we choose Nyoman Cafe because I read the reviews online for this place, and it's not bad. I decided to give it a try.


Unlike other restaurants, Nyoman Cafe does not provide set meals, just the ala carte. And they also have non seafood items on their menu, which is great if you have a non seafood eating friend join you for dinner.


This is the fantastic view with which we eat our dinner. Not bad right? Not too shabby :D.
There was also several small carts selling grilled corns, perhaps you can grab some of those for appetizers or snacks. I didn't get one myself because I know there was a big lunch ahead of me.

To rid ourselves from the disappointment of lunch, we ordered a lot of things for dinner: fish, king prawns, squid, crab, clams and the token stir fry veggies, it was kangkong (water morning glory) that we chose, so we won't feel too bad eating all those high cholesterol charged foods.
Our order came with the complimentary rice and veggie soup, and the toasted peanuts for snacks.


First, out came the vegetable soup. It had carrots and green beans inside. I can also see lots of fried shallots floating on top. I tried a sip, and decided it was not my kind of soup, so I didn't finish it. Good thing there were those peanuts to wash down the taste of the soup with. I don't know how they can go wrong with this basic soup, or maybe it was meant to taste like that? I was beginning to worry.
My husband even commented that maybe they use sea water to cook the soup with. He's not making sense. Maybe he hit his head when riding the slides. So, I pretended I didn't hear what he said. Anyways, nobody finished the soup.


Before this, I always thought that you can never go wrong with fried squid, but this one we had truly surprised me. The squid was a tad bit fishy, the first time for me having fishy squid. Was it not fresh? But I've worked with less than super fresh squid before, it's easy to make it tastes yummy (really).
So again, this was not our favorite, sadly.


However, I was liking the kangkong (water morning glory) a lot. It was crunchy, slightly smokey, and spicy too. The spicy was not in your face spicy, it was friendly spicy, which was nice, but it crept up on you, so be careful.
We were also given three types of dipping sauces, all were spicy of course; sweet soy sauce with cut chili, sambal matah (raw chili and shallots), and sambal goreng (fried chili sauce). I love the raw chili the best! They mixed it up with this vegetable oil, and it was very fragrant, it goes well with everything.


I love these seafood dinner in Bali for the clams, to be honest. They are always sweet, fresh tasting and so addictive! Actually, they taste the best with minimum spices.
The ones we had in Nyoman Cafe however had some sauce on it, which I suspect was some sort of tomato based chili sauce. They were good, but I've had better; grilled with only garlic and butter, yummm.
These were perfect with rice though. So I was still happy.


The fish was grilled with some typical Bali herbs and spices, it was not spicy so my daughter can have some. This was a winner, the meat was succulent, flaky and tasted so delicate and the spices really complimented the overall taste. I love this, and that's saying a lot since I'm not a big fan of fish.


The crab, hmmm nothing much to say about the crab, except that it was small :D. It tasted okay, the raw chili dipping sauce made it taste better, but it wasn't fantastic. I wouldn't order it again a second time, I'd rather order a bigger portion of the clams :).


The star of the night were these king prawns tho, they were super fresh, super easy to peel off, and tasted very juicy and meaty. I love sucking the heads, is this your favorite part too?
They tasted so good, we ordered a scan plate of these :D. I was embarrassed that we ate so much, but we can't help ourselves.
The second helping also came out perfect, so were happy with our decision.


For our dinner that night, including the drinks (teh botol which is ice tea, young coconut, and 2 mineral water), costed Rp. 670.000,- which was acceptable considering how much we ordered, and managed to finish*burp. What can I say? We're big eaters.

After dinner, we get to enjoy the sounds of the sea (before we were in our 'eating machine' mode, anything else is non existent other than the food), while sipping our drinks slowly, rubbing our slightly bulging tummy, and really appreciate the surroundings.
And this was followed by a walk on the beach, oooh so romantic I feel dreamy and out of place :D. But it sure was a nice experience, one of those treasured moments that is not that easy to come by.

Now, you'd think after a big dinner like that, you'd call it a night. But, on our way back to the hotel, my husband made a pit stop at a road side stall selling martabak manis (sweet Indonesian pancake). I was surprised and wondered how he still had space for it. He made a face reserved for every time he accidentally left the keys to our flat dangling outside the door, right inside the key hole, 'Oooopps'.



Martabak manis is his all time favorite dessert. In Jakarta he already has a favorite place to buy this, but in Bali, we were clueless, so we just tried our luck. This one was okay, I even thought it was above average. Well, you can never go wrong with sweet batter, sprinkled chocolate, nuts, sugar and condensed milk....

Here's a video of our trip that day, I hope it is both enjoyable and informative for you:


Stay tune for my next post of our vacation in Bali. Toodles!

More information about Waterbom Bali:

http://waterbom-bali.com/

Jalan Kartika Plaza
Tuban, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung,
Bali, Indonesia 80361
Operation hours: 09.00 AM - 06.00 PM

More information about Nyoman Cafe:

Jimbaran, South Kuta, Badung Regency
Bali, Indonesia
Operation hours: 10.00 AM - 12.00 AM

Another favorite restaurant by the beach that we like:

Jalan Pemelisan Agung
Jimbaran, Kuta Selatan, Kabupaten Badung
Bali, Indonesia 80361
Operation hours: 11.00 AM - 10.00 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell