Skip to main content

Indonesian Beef Stew - Soto Betawi

This is probably the first Indonesian recipe that I learnt since I came to Singapore. Soto betawi has always been one of my top favorite Indonesian food. Unfortunately, Indonesian restaurants in Singapore very seldom serve this, therefore, I had to take matters into my own hands and learn to make it by myself.



It doesn't have to taste the best, as long as it's acceptable and edible, it will do, at least that's what I thought when I first learnt this recipe. But, it has been years since I learnt the basics on making this beef stew, and the original recipe has had changes here and there, based on what I think would be better. Now, I think my soto betawi tastes pretty good, not to blow my own horn :D.

To make a good stew, it takes time, yes, but the steps are actually really simple. Anybody can do it. If If I can do it, so can you, right?

So here are the things you need.



Basically, you can use any part of the beef you like; meat. tendon, tongue, tripe, whichever you like, but this time I'm using the brisket and tendon to give the soup a ton of flavor since I'm not using any beef bones to make the broth. But, whatever your choice of beef is, I strongly suggest that you'd also include the tendon as it is fun to eat :D. Tender, sweet, falls apart in your mouth, simply heaven.

The next best thing to also include here is the beef tongue, small cubes of beef tongue. If you've never had one before, you don't know what you're missing, this is a must try from all parts of the beef! Don't worry, whatever fear you have on eating this part of the cow, the ingredients I'm about to share is a match made in heaven to cook beef tongue with. A sure success! You will have a pleasant experience. (Let's hope I don't over sell).


Cinnamon and clove is the dynamic duo I always include when I'm cooking red meat. They are just superb together, never disappoint. You can cook red meat with any ingredient, but these two are the basic aromatics, a must to ensure the end result to taste fantastic. If there's anything I'm willing to bet my life on, it's this! Trust me :D.

I'd like to say that I only give the best of suggestions, and these are the best knowledge I know in life, or in cooking.

Now, I don't know the science behind this but if you can get your hands on some Indonesian cloves, that would be best, as they smell the best (in my opinion, I may be biased here :P), compared to cloves from other countries. But if this is not possible, then any type of clove will do.


Nutmeg is not my favorite spice, but to give the stew that earthy characteristic, you need this, not too much though, a little goes a long way.


Evaporated milk is very popular in Singapore. It is often added into coffee, tea, curry, and so on. Evaporated milk is actually canned milk which has 60% of its water content removed. No sugar is added into it, so it tastes pretty much like milk, only more concentrated.
But, if you do not have this on hand, the next best thing is fresh milk.


This is my favorite brand of coconut cream, but you can use any other brand that you like. I use coconut cream here, but you can use coconut milk if that is what you have available, however the measurements may differ.
Coconut cream tastes the same as coconut milk, but coconut cream is more concentrated. So, if you do decide to use coconut milk, just add more into the soup.


I forgot to include this last ingredient in the original posting, thank goodness someone asked and reminded me :). Thank you.
This is not included in the original recipe I first studied, of course, but one day I decided to experiment. And turns out, this seasoning helps enhance the flavor, but the key is to put in just enough. Never too much.

So here are the steps.

1. Put a pot of water on medium to low heat. How much water? Enough to cover the meat and to make soup with, I don't have exact measurements :).

2. As the water starts to boil, chuck in the meat and let them simmer in low heat. We will see a lot of the impurities starting to come out and float on the water surface, skim these, and keep repeating the process as you see more impurities coming out.

3. When the broth starts to clear, we can start adding the aromatics/spices and seasonings. First step is to add the cinnamon sticks and cloves, plus salt.

4. Keep it in low heat, simmer until the meat starts to become tender and add in more water if it starts to recede. As the meat just starting to become fork tender, we can add the evaporated milk, coconut cream and nutmeg.

5. Add in the soto betawi packet seasoning last when the meat is ready, usually this will be about 3 hours from when you started cooking. I only use 1/2 sachet of the seasoning, instead of the whole thing. Because, I find adding in too much of the seasoning, gives the stew a weird taste. I don't know the rationales in that, but I learnt that adding just 1/2 sachet is enough.
Don't forget to taste, if you like it salty, feel free to add in more salt.

For the chili sauce, the steps are very simple.

1. Boil the big red chili, chili padi and garlic with some salt until they are tender.

2. Pound them together until they are well incorporated.


I personally like them to still have a little bit of texture, not too fine. It just looks better :)

I love this chili sauce, because it's so multi-functional, and very easy to make. I can use this to eat and cook anything; fried rice, stir fry veggies, stir fry noodle, and anything else you can come up with.

And now the stew is ready!

Serve it together with the chili sauce and other condiments; lime juice, cut spring onions, chopped tomato, emping/melinjo chips, sweet soy sauce and fried shallots. In Indonesia, usually we'd like to also add 1/2 teaspoon of ghee-a type of clarified butter-to make it more fragrant and to give the soup more body. But, to serve it without is also okay. Today, I'm making the slightly healthier version, ghee free, and it still tastes yummy.



Eat it together with a plate of warm rice, on a rainy day, PERFECT! Be careful not to overeat. Yes, it is THAT good.

If you have time, feel free to watch the full video below.



This recipe is one of my favorite, and a favorite amongst my friends and family as well. They are always impressed whenever I cook this, because they imagine the process to be very tedious and complicated, when it's really not. So, I hope you are encouraged to try it out, and please let me know how it goes.
Thanks for tuning in and have a tasty day!

The complete recipe:

1 kg beef (tendon, brisket)
6 cm cinnamon
7 cloves
4tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 sachet Soto Betawi seasoning
200 ml evaporated milk
150 coconut cream

For the chili sauce:

9 cloves garlic
7 big red chili
6 chili padi
1 tbsp salt

Condiments:

Lime juice
Chopped tomato
Chopped spring onions
Emping/melinjo chips
Fried shallots
Sweet soy sauce, preferably Bango
Ghee (optional)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell