Skip to main content

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends.

A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her....

http://the-dewi.blogspot.sg/2016/03/gulai-kambing-mutton-curry-my-mother-in.html

If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is.

Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell you, it is worth all the trouble!


Let's start with the recipe then (complete recipe available at the bottom of this post).


What kind of cuts of meats (or bones) included in the curry is entirely up to you. Whatever you want to include inside (offal aside though) be it legs, shoulders, ribs, etc, the sky is the limit. You cannot go wrong. My only advice is if you decide to put more bones in, say from legs, I'd put more tamarind than what is stated in the recipe just to wash off the gaminess.

You can also include strictly only lean meats, but I have to say a little bit of fat in the gravy makes it much much better (I'm just saying).


For a dish that is so packed with flavors, we're not using too much herbs and spices. This is already everything you need to impress your loved ones with your curry cooking skill.


We're using fresh tomato (instead of tomato paste) to brighten up the dish, but the sourness comes from the tamarind (next to the tomato). For gamy or fishy types of meats, tamarind can offset the strong aroma/flavors. A little goes a long way.


The base spices for this curry recipe is included in the bumbu inti (mixed spices), which can be bought ready made in supermarkets, or if you'd like to make it yourself, you can do so. I have also included the recipe for that in the bottom of this post. Recipes for bumbu inti, although there are varities, are not that different between one and the other. Most spices used are in fact similar.

The recipe also calls for some ground chili to give it a little kick, not too much. The measurement I have included here is just about right for most people :).

And since we are working with red meat, the two main aromatics need to be present: cinnamon and clove. However you want to cook red meat (mostly stews is what I'm talking about here), never forget these two ingredients. They do wonders to red meat!

Also, a proper curry should always include yellow ginger. Yellow ginger gives vibrant color to the dish, and a warmth that gives the flavors another layer to it.

Coconut cream/milk is always a must. I'm too lazy to prepare my own coconut milk from scratch, so I always buy them ready made. My taste buds does not know the difference anyway :P. I like this brand though. Notice that it is coconut cream instead of coconut milk. So the measurements I use here is for coconut CREAM, whereby if you are using coconut milk, then you obviously need more than what is stated here.

At the end of the cooking process, I also included my mother's secret ingredient to almost all of her dish: palm sugar. I think this what takes this curry up to the next level :)

So here are the steps. They are simple, but the process does take a long time:

1. Heat up a little bit of vegetable oil, and saute the spices: bumbu inti, ground chili, and yellow ginger together.

2. Throw in the mutton meats and bones. Stir fry until it is well coated with the spices and the color starts to change. Put the fire on medium to high heat.

3. Pour in the tamarind that has been mixed with water. Cover the meats with water, and turn down the heat to medium low.

4. Give some salt and toss in the cinnamon sticks and cloves, and also the tomato. Let it simmer for about 40 minutes, until the water recedes.

5. Pour in 100 ml of coconut cream along with some water until the meats are covered again. Let it cook for about 1.5 hour. Add in more water if you see it starts to disappear.

6. At this time, the meat is starting to become tender, but it is not quite there yet. Pour in the remaining 100 ml of coconut cream in the 200 ml coconut cream packet (as shown in the picture above). Let it cook for another 40 minutes.

7. Check the meat with a fork to see whether it is at a tenderness level that you want. I prefer it to be falling off the bones tender. If it is no there yet, add in some more water and let it cook some more.

8. When the meat is ready, pour in another 100 ml of coconut cream, without extra water, and a little bit of palm sugar for an extra delicious kick.

And that is how it is done :). Easy right? But super delicious.

http://the-dewi.blogspot.sg/2016/03/gulai-kambing-mutton-curry-my-mother-in.html

This is the super rich mutton curry, one of my best recipes to date :).

http://the-dewi.blogspot.sg/2016/03/gulai-kambing-mutton-curry-my-mother-in.html

And this is how you're supposed to eat it, with a full plate of hot steamy rice. I have to warn you before hand, a plate of rice might not be enough. Sometimes not even two plates. That is unless you have will power of steel. I know I don't have that kind of strength. I'm weak in the face of the all powerful the mutton curry.

I have also made a video of it, to show you the steps, I hope you find it useful.



Thank you so much for tuning in. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know if you have any question/suggestion :)

Complete recipe for mutton curry:

Mutton ribs, meats, shoulders, legs (whatever you'd like to include here)
1 tomato
1/2 tbsp tamarind (I included 5 seeds in here)
1 1/2 tbsp bumbu inti (mixed spices, you can make it yourself or buy ready made)
2 tbsp ground chili
1 tsp yellow ginger
300 ml coconut cream
1 1/2 tsp palm sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
10 cloves
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil for stir frying
Water, as needed

Bumbu inti recipe as made by the celerity chef Rudy Choirudin
(source: http://resepista.blogspot.sg/2013/07/bumbu-dasar-ala-chef-rudi-choirudin.html):

250 gr shallots
100 gr garlic
50 gr candle nut
3 cm blue ginger, chopped finely
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
100 ml oil added when blending all the spices together with food processor

The kind I used also has coriander and lime leaves in it, so you may add those in if you prefer to do so.

Comments

  1. Looks delicious. Keep on cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at erecipe00@gmail.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    Best,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w