Skip to main content

And Then There Was Corona. Beef Yakiniku Recipe

It is still unbelievable to me that I am living in the time of the pandemic. Months after, and we are still trying to normalize all that has happened, which is near impossible to do. People are trying to get by, to function again amidst all this chaos. But to be on the optimistic side, we just have to accept that there will be things that will remain a thing of the past. For one, travelling will never be the same, though I have no idea when I will travel again. All travel plans this year have been pushed to next year, best earliest estimate for my family to safely travel haha (as per my version). 

So far, this has been a downer post, but I am also here to share my beef yakiniku recipe. So here goes. 



The recipe for this is really simple but I found my mother asking for the recipe details at least once a month, and she's an excellent cook. Thus I wonder whether this recipe is more difficult than I thought. Should I lay it out here step by step and play by play? Not a bad idea. I mean, once upon a time I learnt how to cook my very first recipe and I really did need instructions even for the smallest things. I never should take this for granted I think 😊

Okay, so first, here are the ingredients needed:

300 gr beef slices 
1 onion, cut thinly 
3 green onion, white part, cut thinly 
1 big bell pepper, sliced 
2 tbsp oyster sauce 
1 tbsp soy sauce 
1/4 cube beef bouillon 
2 tbsp brown sugar 
A dash of sesame oil 

It is a good idea to have this ready within reach before the cooking process begins. 

1. My current favourite cut is the frozen beef shabu shabu from Chef Delights. I like it because they cut the meat really thinly. I mean I could see my fingers on the other side of the meat when I hold it. Because it is so thin, the meat is tender and really soaks up the sauce. 

Another reason why I prefer this brand is because of the low price 😚👌. They even have promotion going on often at Fair Price: $9 for 2 packs! I mean, it's hard to beat that. 

What I like to do is to separate single strands of beef so that they won't stick together and form a giant ball of beef as we cook them. 

2. Heat up around 2 tbsp of oil on medium high heat and saute the onion and the white part of the green onion first until soft. 

3. Next, comes in the beef. Stiry fry while making  sure they are separated, then add the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Wait for the meat to be medium cooked (most parts changed colour but some pink are left) and put the beef bouillon. 

4. As the meat continues to cook, some of the jus will come out. Toss in the bell pepper now but be careful not to overcook them. 

5.When the peppers start to soft, add the brown sugar and check for taste. 

6.Add a dash of the sesame oil when the peppers are very close to your desired texture (cooking them around 3-4 minutes is usually enough), then turn off the heat. 

That was super easy I think. What comes next is the dish washing. You're on your own on that one, sorry! 




 #beefyakiniku #halal #beef #fatty #recipecollection #homecooking #homemade #sghomecook #weekendmood #sghomefood


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell