Skip to main content

The Quest for The Perfect Roast Chicken

The rainy season we're currently enjoying here in Singapore is not exactly perfect for roast chicken. But roast chicken is perfect for any occasion in my opinion. The other day I tried a Chinese style roast chicken recipe. Reading the ingredients, I was sure this is the taste of the roast chicken of my childhood.

When I was young, my dad used to buy roast chicken quite often at this small shop near our house in Jakarta. The taste was incredible. I could finish 1 whole chicken by myself any day. I was a peckish child, developing the gusto to eat into adulthood. Unfortunately, it seems out of everyone who lived there, I was the only fan of that roast chicken. As such, the shop finally closed and I have since been missing that taste.

When I chanced upon this recipe, I thought this was it, the recipe to make what I can safely call the greatest roast chicken I ever had. So I went ahead and tried it with anticipation. The original recipe actually is not halal, so I had to make some adjustments. This was how I made it:

1 whole chicken weighing 1 kg
1 onion, quartered
5 cloves garlic
3 stalks green onion
3 slices of ginger (2 sm)
5 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
oil to brown the chicken

1. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes before using.

2. Apply salt and pepper to the entire chicken including the cavity.

3. Place the onion, garlic, ginger and vinegar into the chicken cavity.

4. Place any remaining/leftover ingredients, which cannot be fit into the chicken, into the roasting tin.

5. Apply soy sauce and oil on the entire chicken. Perhaps basting the chicken every now and then would be a good idea to make sure the skin is crispy. But I did not do that, the skin was not as crispy but it was okay.

6. Roast in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hour until the skin is just right.

The result looked fantastic! But the taste was definitely missing that Chinese herbs kick. Why..??!! Because there wasn't any included in this recipe lol. Duuhhh....I should have thought of that, but in my haste, I overlooked it. I should not have been surprised, but I did. So, though I was not completely disappointed with the taste, I was let down by the fact that it is not the taste I was expecting.

Once upon a time, when I was pursuing my degree in the US, a friend of mine from China made me this chicken soup, seasoning of which is really similar to the herbs and spices of that beloved roast chicken I had when I was young. We did discuss about it and she told me what the spices were. This was aeons ago. But now after I moved to Singapore, I don't remember what the spices were anymore. Though I could have sworn I chanced upon a spice package sold in Shengsiong with the exact same fragrance, but at this point, this is all still a mystery. Of course, this means I would have to investigate further and hunt down the spice package in question so I can confirm whether those were the spices I'm looking for. If so, then I will be updating this roast chicken recipe soon enough. Sooo excited!!!

In the meantime tho, this recipe is still good on it's own. If there happens to be leftovers, we can stir fry it again with Indonesian kecap manis. Heaven!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell