Skip to main content

Italian Roast Chicken and BTS Daesang All Kill

These 2 are in no way related, except for the fact that I was munching on the roast chicken while watching BTS made history on TV (not the other way around). I knew MAMA 2019 was coming on days before the show and was somewhat waiting in anticipation for it. I made sure I cleared my schedules, getting the choirs done early, and also decided to make for the family something simple, tasty, yet does not require so much my full undivided attention. Hence, the Italian Roast chicken.


I stumbled upon this recipe from https://www.nigella.com/. Lovely lovely Nigella, whose cooking shows sooth me to sleep most nights. This was my 2nd time making the recipe and around the 5th time that I used the oven (it has been with us for 5+ years). The first time I made it, I was not sure how it will turn out. First, there was my irrational fear of cooking anything in the oven. So the oven has not been used other than for toasting bread slices and/or baking sweet potatoes. There was also the fact that I was not familiar and/or skeptical with some of the ingredients. I have never cooked with olives and I don't appreciate the taste of rosemary. But as such is my faith with Nigella, that I simply went on with it. There was also the fact that this recipe receives rave reviews.  Having said that, I have to say that this is not exactly the recipe per se, but the achieved taste is the same according to my humble untrained tongue.

So here is how I made this recipe.

1 whole chicken weighing 1kg
1 big stalk leeks, sliced length wise
1 whole lemon, thoroughly washed
1 medium size red bell pepper, cut to bite sized pieces
1 medium size yellow bell pepper, cut to bite sized pieces
1 small bowl whole pitted black olives
4 tbsp dried rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil, as much as you need

1. Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Rub the cavity of the chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper and around 1 tbsp of dried rosemary
3. Cut lemon in half, placed inside the cavity of the chicken securely
4. Rub the chicken with a mixture of salt, pepper and olive oil
5. Assemble the cut and sliced vegetables, including the olives (I left them whole) and add in salt pepper, the remaining dried rosemary and olive oil. Making sure the oil coats all the vegetables.
6. Placed the vegetables in a baking tin, placed the chicken on top and stick in the oven for 1 hour and 25 minutes
7. We can check if the chicken is done by piercing the skin between the thigh and body. If the juice runs clear, the chicken is done.




Easy right? Well, come to think of it, I think every oven works differently, sort of. So, we really have to understand its temperament and decide how long is needed for it to cook something to perfection level based on experience. This is how long it takes for my oven to do its magic.

Accompanying the lovely smell that permeates from my kitchen is the re-occurring announcements  from the TV that BTS snatches all the awards they were nominated for that night. It is so marvelous to see how 7 years of hard work finally sees the recognition and rewards it deserves. Even the more special since they performed their older songs which paved the way for their success today. Watching the Oscars even never felt this special. They made history by winning all the Daesangs, this has never happened before, but I expected as much. Which is why I sat through the entire  program for 6 hours! Dazed and tired after that, but worth it though :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell