Skip to main content

The Yummiest Porridge I've Ever Tasted! (Bubur Ayam)

This humble bowl of porridge is a revelation to me.


It has been more than a year since my last post. I suddenly just stopped writing about food altogether. There's a reason for this. Something weird yet wonderful has happened since then:

I gave birth to this little bunny.

The Bunny Who Stole My Heart
Obviously, this is not the weird part. And the pregnancy itself went well overall. However, the 'morning' (read: all day) sickness was incredible this time around. This is not something I've experienced before. My first pregnancy went by very smoothly, and I can say that I did not experience any type of sickness at all. Appetite was good, no dizziness, vertigo, nothing. But, this second pregnancy, well, it was special to say the least.

Not only was I not able to eat, smell food or any food ingredients (and in particular, garlic), I was also not able to read or see food anywhere. I just felt nauseous by the sight of it. Be it on TV or magazines, billboard, you name it. I was pretty miserable. Thus the sudden absence from this blog :(. It's like I totally became a different person. Food was always an event for me before, an entertainment. But then it became sort of my nemesis. I lost weight, I even stayed away from the food channel. This is unheard of! It was national geographic all the way for me. Also some soothing documentaries on NHK World :D. Yes, I find the documentaries on their channel very soothing. Nice choice of background music, easy yet entertaining flow of story telling, it's like going to a spa. Sort of. My fave in particular was the 72 hour documentary, it's very interesting to be looking at glimpses of people's lives like that, contemplating on our short time on earth and the meaning of life itself. Pretty deep stuff. How very uncharacteristic of me.

I even developed a taste for food I didn't care for before, such as; banana cake and red bean bao, to name a few. These however are my husband's favorite things to eat. Weird. I actually downgraded myself to his taste :P. Thank goodness I didn't develop any cravings for durian :D. That would be the pits for sure :D. Other pregnancy woes also included acid reflux, shortness of breath and the constant nausea. Nothing unheard of before, but it was a first for me.

Of course, all the pregnancy challenges I went through felt like nothing after Hassan was born. Forgotten, like they never happened. And that's only because the challenges that come next after he was born was even more.....special :D. Though the fact that he is super cute helps making it more bearable. Of course, I say he's cute because I'm the mommy.

Anyways, I decided to start writing today to document the simple yet brilliant (in my opinion) recipe of the yummiest porridge I've ever had, bar none. And being an avid porridge lover myself, this is saying a lot.

This porridge was made as a side product when I was making another chicken dish today. Rather than throw away the bones, I decided to make chicken stock out of them. I shall call it 'nude stock' as the stock really did not have anything in it, except they were only boiled down for hours over low heat. The result was nothing short of amazing. The layers of flavor was just incredible!!*love.

Although I think the choice of chicken used made a difference. I used frozen chicken to be honest, Frangosul brand. There are two frozen chicken brands that I think tastes even better than fresh chicken: Sadia and Frangosul. Between the two, I think Frangosul taste better. The chicken meat tastes sweeter somehow, very noticeable difference to me. I don't go to the market everyday. Grocery shopping is only done once a week, therefore frozen meats seem like a better idea for me.

Source: http://www.fairprice.com.sg/
For the porridge I made today, I used whole chicken bones. Their griller chicken was on sale the other day, around SGD 4.60 for a decent sized chicken, perfect for a family of 3 1/2 like mine.

The full process are the following:

1. I boiled down the bones for approximately 3-4 hours over low heat, took out whatever impurities that come out along the way.

2. When the stock seems ready, I did not take out the bones, but I added washed rice (that's right; rice that has been washed again), along with some clean water and boil that down for the next hour or so.

3. After the rice has broken down into your desired consistency, add a little bit of salt. Keep in mind not to add too much, just enough so that you can taste a hint of saltiness only. I learn from my mom that this method makes the dish even more irresistible because you're letting the precious chicken stock shines.

4. Add beaten chicken egg little by little as you would when making egg drop soup.

5. Turn off the heat and add in chopped up scallions.

My daughter, Naylla, is in no way a fan of porridge. The congee that she had at the child care centre she went to when she was small has ruined it for her permanently it seems :D. But, she is crazy about this porridge!! So, I'm pretty confident that this recipe is a winner, a keeper :).

Complete recipe for Yummiest Porridge:

Frangosul chicken griller size 1 KG
1 small bowl washed rice (about 5 tbs)
1 small bowl of chopped scallions
1 beaten eggs
Salt to taste

Enjoy!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell