Skip to main content

The Dewi Jumbo Prawns - My Momma's Recipe


This recipe was first thought of by my mother. It is simple, delicious, and you can cook anything with these ingredients, I kid you not.

In my opinion, my mom is truly gifted in cooking, that's where her talent lies. However, her true calling is..........cleaning -_-.
Her friends and family, and everyone else who knows her can tell without a doubt she definitely has OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), although it was never officially assessed by any health practitioner, but her situation is really obvious, clear cut, in your face, double confirm, guarantee chop case.
To give you an idea of what my mom is like, let me tell you a little bit about her, one of the most important and beloved person in my life, and by far, the most interesting individual I have ever known, bar none.

She loves cleaning. Well 'love' is a strong word, 'she is enslaved by her obsession to clean' is probably more accurate. You wouldn't know the true meaning of the word 'immaculate' until you visit her house.
She spends her day cleaning, of course. Cleaning comes first. It starts early in the morning, the latest at 7.00 am and ends at least at 11.00 pm. Once she even finished her rounds at 3.00 in the morning, to which my kind, sweet grandmother in all seriousness commented, 'Your mother, I think she has lost her mind....'
Not only does she go through the normal cleaning habits, like sweeping, mopping, brushing, wiping, the floor, windows, furniture, tiles and so on, but she also cleans the walls, doors, chandeliers, light bulbs, leaves on plants, behind cupboards (big and small), crevices of whatever, DAILY. She never misses not even one tiny spot. Our big extended family even made a bet once to actually pay money to whoever can find any speckle of dust in my mom's house. Nobody ever won, of course.
It's not that she's burdened by these chores, nor do they make her happy, but if she doesn't do them, she suffers from nausea and migraine. Maybe my grandmother was right after all.

I would love to put up a picture of her here, especially the one when she was caught sleeping with her mouth hanging open and all, but she will definitely disown me, if she hasn't already now that I'm writing about her. But that picture (taken by my aunt, another interesting person I have ever come across), is probably top three most hilarious pictures I have ever seen in my life.

Anyways, back to the recipe. Boy, I sure love to side track a lot.

Frozen jumbo prawns from my freezer
One day, I received a phone call from my husband. Apparently work finished early that day and he decided to go fishing with his friends. That was an odd phone call for me, because....my husband? Fishing? These just don't mix, but whatever 'Yes, okay,' I said.
I really did not expect him to actually catch anything, but when he got home that afternoon with a pretty big bag of live jumbo prawns (!), I was pleasantly surprised :D.

These lovely prawns were alive and kicking. I have never dealt with live 'food' before, how do you even kill a prawn? So we decided to stick them into the refrigerator.

Equipped with the knowledge of my mom's prawns recipe, I was very confident I could make a killer master piece with these babies.



So what you need is really simple; garlic, palm sugar, salt, and young coconut juice (it's not pictured here, but it's in the video below :) ).


Pound the garlic together with salt, to make the process to go easier and faster. I use a mortar and pestle, but if you'd like to use a food processor, that also works.



The next step is to marinade the prawns with all the ingredients mentioned above. The minimum time to marinade is about 1 hour in the fridge, to let all the flavors to seeped through the shells and into the beautiful fleshy prawn meat in the inside.


After that, we cook the prawns with all the juices until it's half done. No need to add anymore water.


When they started to turn orange, immediately take them out of the pot, and strain them from the liquid.


Overcooking them will make the meat tough and less flavorful.

Just right before serving, deep fry them with the heat on high, not too long, just until the shells turn orange all the way around, which means the prawns are cooked, then take them out of the oil at once.


They should look like this.

You can enjoy this together with rice and chili sauce of your preference.

These prawns really made my day. My husband loves it, my daughter loves it, and I'm risking high cholesterol from not being able to stop myself from stuffing my face.


That was pretty easy right? And the best thing is, you can cook chicken, beef, squid, basically anything else you want with these simple ingredients!
The other day I made fried chicken with this recipe and it was also a hit.

I hope this post is helpful for you, I would love to hear your experience with it, so feel free to leave a comment below.

Here is the complete recipe:

1 kg jumbo prawns
10 cloves of garlic
1 table spoon of palm sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
350 ml young coconut juice

And this is the video I made for this recipe, I hope it's clear to follow:



Have a tasty day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Ati Ampela (Spicy Chicken Liver and Gizzards)

Boy, the sound of this dish sure is extreme when you translate it into English. Reminds me of Halloween somehow. But hearing it in Bahasa delivers a calming sensation to my nerves. ' Sambal goreng ati ampela ', I associate this with deliciousness, bursts of flavor, and family :D. But, still, basically this dish really is chicken liver and gizzards cooked in chili, and if you're not used to this type of eating, then this is extreme for you, while it's like candy to me :P. Indonesia has many varieties of sambal goreng , every region has their own take on it, this is only one of them. This is the sambal goreng I grew up with, even though nowadays my mother has altered her recipe, but this is the flavors that I recognize and will soon share with you (complete recipe in the bottom of this post). What I've done here is I've cleaned and cut up to bite size pieces all the liver, gizzards and hearts. I should have showed you how it is done, but I forgot to

Swee Heng Bakery

Since I moved to Singapore in 2008, there has been a lot of adjusting to do, even until today. The difference in culture, habits, the way people talk, the way they walk, the way they eat, make friends, even the values that we hold, are different, even only slightly. But one thing that was and still is quite the big adjustment for me and my family is the fact that we, who come from Indonesia, where Muslims are the majority, have found ourselves becoming the minority in Singapore. This means, that when we go out to eat, there's a lot less options for us to choose from. A simple thing like one of my favorite snacks in Indonesia: Shihlin Taiwan fried chicken, does not have halal certification here. 'Errr, does that matter? It's still chicken.' Well yeah, but the chicken has to be halal (processed according to Islamic Law), then we can eat it :). Anyways, so this means every time I see a halal eating establishment, I get all excited. Especially, when they really know w

Gulai Kambing - Mutton Curry (My Mother in Law's Recipe, so you know it's gonna be good)

I am so passionate about this recipe, because it tastes so good, and the gravy is very very rich! The first time my mother in law taught me how to make this (it has been a special dish in her family for a long time now), I knew I was learning something special. And I was right. This recipe now has been a favorite among my family and friends. A memorable reaction from a colleague was when I saw her quietly eating the curry by herself, and I saw her opening and closing her eyes in response to the burst of flavors from the curry :D. She then shook her head (in amazement.....I hope).  I know that sounds exaggerated, but it was truly what happened! I mean, I cannot blame her.... If this does not look beautiful to you, I don't know what it is. Surprisingly, the recipe for making this is not at all complicated, but it is troublesome. The total cooking time for me was about 4 hours, to cook all the meat until it's tender, and the gravy to become like that :). But let me tell